Thursday, July 29, 2010

CaPtUrInG JULY




Matters of the Spirit: July has been almost completely consumed by a variety of survival techniques. Early in the month I unceremoniously and improvidentially sat in what I thought was tall green grass and weeds next to the pond where Simon the Lab likes to swim. A week or so later, my legs and butt were covered with itchy spots, lines, and blisters. Luckily I had visited my good doc for something else and he gave me a script just in case. Over the weeks the following therapeutic treatments have included aloe vera slathered straight from the huge broad leaved plants growing in and around my house, witch hazel generously splashed straight from the bottle, daily prednisone, and lyrica (prescribed for other ailments, but incredibly helpful in calming the wild internal angst). Early mornings were the worst probably due to meds wearing off and warm sleeping covers. The company of my grandsons has also been of great help. The 18 year old can now drive over bringing the 7 year old along. Exploring and making art and reading books and being crazy truly helped me get through the days.

Starting to get back to art, I've made a couple of baskets - along with Elliott. We also created one-color treasure boxes, painted railroad spikes, and melted crayons on hot stones. My square basket made with pastel aqua dyed reed and a strip of "soul collage" fabric paper was designed to hold my growing collection of soul collage cards, the best companion for the matters of the spirit journey so far. Poison ivy may be my muse for the next collage or art quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment