Wednesday, December 1, 2010

New Old Danish











When my father and mother returned to Nebraska after a four year adventure in Arizona, they were 78 and 72. My sisters and I attempted to learn a little more Danish while we still had the chance. One sister had ordered Danish language books and dictionaries and gave them as gifts. I still have the letters and lessons sent back and forth with Dad's corrections and comments. I also have a newer Danish dictionary and a Folkehøskolens Sangbog (Folkschool Songbook) that I purchased in Denmark in 1981. Dad died in 1982 and Mom in 1988. Connecting with new friends in Denmark via blogland has re-inspired me to work on the Danish again. I think Daddy would be smiling. The songs have been going through my head lately: Der Bor en Bager; Marken er Mejet; Sneflokke Kommer Vrimlende; Dejligt er Den Himmel Blå. I know them all by heart and they are still up there in my memory. What a joy. Daddy and I sang songs together as he lay dying. One was Et Barn er Født i Bethlehem. When my sister and I sang our songs to Danish relatives when we were there, one cousin said that we sounded like "farmers from Copenhagen" because we had learned an older dialect from our dad who immigrated in 1927. These memories are so precious.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful heritage. Something to keep forever. Of course I want to hear some of those songs now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne I had to sing some of the Danish songs you mention, know them all, det er fantastisk at du og din søster holder ved det danske sprog, besøger i sommetider Danmark ? eller skriver med slægtninge ?. Hope you will have a nice Christmas time.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hvor er det spændende at læse, Suzanne! Ja, du må endelig holde dit danske sprog ved lige. Har du stadig familie i Danmark?

    Jeg skriver med min engelske kusine på dansk, og hun forstår det hele - hendes mor var dansk.
    Og nu kan du synge alle de danske julesange, for eksempel "Højt fra træets grønne top".

    ReplyDelete