Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dying Silk with Silk

Tried this technique I recently found. (But why is it so hard to find the magazine now so that I can give proper credit?) It was so fun and easy, I plan to have my Art + Quilt group over to try it too. "Chunks" of silk ties are positioned on a piece of white silk. I placed another silk piece on top, then rolled it up, tied it in frequent intervals and then boiled it in water with a little vinegar for 15 minutes. I'm already envisioning the quilt it will become.

Later: This technique is shown in Quilting Arts Magazine Oct/Nov 2010 - Tie Transfer Dyeing, pg 20.

By Kathy Barinholtz


2 comments:

  1. this happened to me by accident the other day because i used some silk ties to hold a bundle in the steamer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Suzanne so nice to hear from you, hope you are doing well, sounds like an interesting technique, maybe I'll try it, I have the magazine. Du må have en rigtig hyggelig og kreativ uge.
    Hugs Anni

    ReplyDelete